Blog

Category

Currently showing posts tagged 1950s

  • Modernist churches of Europe, 1964

    Modernist churches of Europe, 1964

    Germany: Paul Gerhardt Church, Mannheim

    Gerhard Schlegel and Reinhold Kargel architects, 1961
    G E Kidder Smith photographer

    The New Churches of Europe by G E Kidder Smith, 1964

    From our personal library, a glimpse at a terrific 1960s hardback book brimming with black and white photography, essays/descriptions and architectural line renderings of sixty modernist avant-garde churches across Europe. Written by G E Kidder Smith, FAIA. First edition published by Holt, Rinehart & Winston, 1964. Photographs and layout by author. (Outside photography credited.)

    You can see additional spreads from the book here.

    –Amy

    France: Ste Thérèse rue de Croix, Hem, Roubaix

    Hermann Baur architect, 1958
    Robert Gnant photographer

  • Trinity University

    Trinity University

    Photo © Amy Collier

    Coates University Center
    Artichoke Lamp—Designed by Poul Henningsen for Louis Poulsen Lighting, 1958

    Photo © Amy Collier

    Laurie Auditorium, Murchison Tower

    Photo © Amy Collier

    Coates University Center
    Terrazzo entrance

    Photo © Amy Collier

    Henry Moore
    Large Interior Form, 1953–54
    Bronze

    Photo © Amy Collier

    Laurie Auditorium

    Photo © Amy Collier

    Bret Price
    Rapture, 2001
    Galvanized steel

    Photo © Amy Collier

    Barbara Hepworth
    Conversation with Magic Stones, 1973 
    Bronze

    Photo © Amy Collier

    Murchison Tower
    Architects—O’Neil Ford & Bartlett Cocke, 1964
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

    Modern architect O'Neil Ford (1905–1982) was hired to design a master plan and the buildings of the relocated Trinity University campus in partnership with fellow Texas architect Bartlett Cocke (1901–1992). Construction began in 1950, and the current campus opened in 1952.

    –Amy

Blog

  • Jan 5, 2015
  • Dec 25, 2014
  • Dec 3, 2014

Email Updates